Saturday, October 14, 2023

language question

I think language is an end in itself. I started watching this video and this guy was being condescending and saying, "people can share their thoughts and feelings with another person using language." 

It's definitely not a false statement but I don't think language is just for sharing thoughts and feelings. And I think you could go a step further and say that language appears to be used for the purpose of sharing thoughts and feelings but that's not what's actually happening. Language is a generative game that is an innately human activity. We have to do language and as a result of that, thoughts and feelings are shared, sort of.

I really like this tweet and I think it better describes what language is

This first definition from the guy in the video makes it seem like language is a tool that we willingly use to serve our own ends. The second definition I think more accurately shows, through humor, how language is a powerful urge that isn't always rational. 

Why does it matter either way? I guess it doesn't but I think it's fun to think about.


No comments: