Let me say up top, the Earth is round. It's definitely not flat. It's round.
Now let me say--I think most people (or at least me) would be better off with an imagined antiquated sense of geography.
I'm open to the idea that some people love to look at a map of the whole world or a globe and know that it's all there and accurate and except for tiny little remote pockets we've basically got it all in satellite images. Maybe to them it fills them with wonder and helps them to imagine what it would be like to go there.
Not me. You know this. I'm a dweller. I want an accurate map of the town I live in and then some extensions for the interstates and highways I know how to navigate. And then 'The Far Lands'. These are places I've maybe been to once or twice or know I could get to if I had to. I know for sure there's at least one ocean. Put a big serpent in the middle of it. Then a lot of 'Great Beyond'.
I'm not saying I want to be willfully ignorant. It's important that we have this information. I'm just saying scale matters.
I look at a map of the whole world, that's too much information. I don't live there. I know I do technically but the human animal part of me doesn't live there.
I AIN'T NEVER GOING TO THE MALDIVES!
But! I did find this map of the place I live and it's not perfect but I feel like it's a good example of what I'm kind of getting at
This tells me something the human part of me wants to know. This person's humor and viewpoint is kinda 'meh' but this does something for me that like 'maps for navigation' doesn't do.
No comments:
Post a Comment