Friday, January 5, 2024

walt whitman

"I exist as I am, that is enough,
If no other in the world be aware I sit content,
And if each and all be aware I sit content.

One world is aware, and by far the largest to me, and that is myself,
And whether I come to my own today or in ten thousand or ten million years,
I can cheerfully take it now, or with equal cheerfulness I can wait.

My foothold is tenoned and mortised in granite,
I laugh at what you call dissolution,
And I know the amplitude of time.

I am the poet of the body,
And I am the poet of the soul.

The pleasures of heaven are with me, and the pains of hell are with me,
The first I graft and increase upon myself . . . . the latter I translate into a new
tongue.

I am the poet of the woman the same as the man,
And I say it is as great to be a woman as to be a man,
And I say there is nothing greater than the mother of men.

I chant a new chant of dilation or pride,
We have had ducking and deprecating about enough,
I show that size is only development."

------------------------------------------------------------

You ever think about how Walt Whitman knew the amplitude of time in 1855? 

You ever think about how Walt Whitman grafted the pleasures of heaven onto himself?

You ever think about how Walt Whitman sat content if no one knew he existed and if everyone knew he existed?

Walt Whitman said,

Evil propels me, and reform of evil propels me . . . . I stand indifferent,
My gait is no faultfinder's or rejecter's gait,
I moisten the roots of all that has grown.

I moisten the roots of all that has grown

You ever think about how Walt Whitman moistened the roots of all that has grown?

He's so real for that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the new poetry arc (from the Andy perspective ofc), it’s really fascinating and interesting while also adding a bit of cheery humor to brighten your day. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Also, he is sooo real for that

Andy Lawrence said...

AHH! THANK YOU!!!