Thursday, September 15, 2022

poem for September 15th

unintended consequences concerning creation

when I water my plants

it creates pools of water in the plastic containers beneath their pots

mosquitoes lay eggs in small pools of still water

my apartment is infested with mosquitoes.

But I told my friends

that I think

the mosquitoes know who I am

and recognize me as their god

the source from which all life flows.

The mosquito has no choice in the matter.

The only thing it can do is suck blood to survive.

And the only thing I can do is make tasty tasty blood

round the clock.

But still

in the shower last night

when a mosquito flew out of my reach

and was perched high on my wall

with what I can only imagine as a smug expression

I took some satisfaction

in grabbing my bath towel and slapping it out of existence.

No comments: