Sunday, February 23, 2014

Lateral Bananas


EXPLORATORY WRITING ON THE BANANA BEHIND THE CORNER WRITTEN ON A SCRAP PIECE OF PAPER FOUND BY A BORED MAN.

How do we know what we know? We take input from our senses and arrange them into reality. We have ideas about what is real and tell our senses to find that and ignore what doesn't fit.

There's a smiling banana that lives behind the corner in my hallway. He is friendly. When I approach the corner and look behind it, he vanishes. I continue walking down the hallway and when I turn around to see the corner from the other angle, he appears. He is behind the corner on the other side this time.

I want the banana to be there. He is there because I see him. I alone. Except for the banana. Also, the roommate who lives here. But, I live alone. Half of the world is dark at any point in the day. My roommate lives alone. The ideas resist touching. I live alone. My roommate lives alone. You can say them easily enough. The banana only lives in the corner, not on any one side. It's hard to fit a tube of deviled eggs into a donut hole. My roommate doesn't see this. My roommate does see the banana. But, only when I am there. I live alone. The banana lives in the corner of the hallway. He is friendly.

No comments: