Saturday, November 10, 2012

Broke Ten in the Two Mile!

(3200)-- 9:49!

Woo! I'm pretty sure I can go faster.

I haven't written some words on here in a while.

I have comedybrew auditions tomorrow. That will be excitement.


Um, I was at a party last night and I'm not sure how it came up but at one point I half-yelled at a girl, "I think art is really important!"

And she looked at me blankly, then looked a little disappointed, and said, "oh. So you're a hipster."

I hung my head defeated, "Yeah...I'm a hipster."

But...no. I'm not a hipster.

I understand that this is because I'm in college, that I can say these things, but while I'm at it, why deny myself the pleasure of enjoying art and being slovenly...slattern. It's real. It's a real thing and they've even proven that art that can expand your emotional intelligence is correlated with higher intelligence overall.

But I guess my real problem with what the girl said was that art seems to be inherently tied to a culture. To a kind of person. And I think art is exactly the opposite. Art is a personal expression that should strive to be as far away as possible from any greater social influence. Art is you making sense of your reality and sharing it. And it's easy to do that with a label and an association with a group but it's not inherent.

Here's my reimagining of the scene in a world run by me

::partychatter::::partychatter:: :partychatter::::partychatter::::partychatter::

Me: I THINK ART IS REALLY IMPORTANT!

Girl:....

And then, she says nothing.

The lesson is you really shouldn't yell things like that at a party. Say things like, "You don't know any talking dogs do you? I was gonna ask to hang out with you later but it'd be awkward if we ran into a talking dog."

No comments: