Sunday, October 14, 2012

Harchly

I ate pancakes this morning. I helped make them. It was wonderful. I used a spa-tula.

One thing I realized though about cooking is that I was raised in a house where there were always leftovers. My mom would always prepare food as if there were five of us or we were all ravenously hungry. And I think that's why I like dining halls so much, because you can never eat all the food.

Whenever I help prepare food or eat a meal outside my house and the meal is over when there is no more food, I always kinda have this weird empty feeling. Like, I could've eaten more. There is no way that the food could run out at the precise moment I stopped eating.

And when I was thinking about that, it reminded me of the time when I learned that you can't eat all the food.

That was when little seven-year-old Andy thew up his fourth full plate of spaghetti. It wasn't violent though. It was a very leisurely vomit. Like I was doing that Houdini trick where you hide things in your throat. But I did it with about a pound of spaghetti. I'm pretty sure the ball of noodles was almost perfectly intact. It barely went in before it all came right back out.

My mom wasn't even impressed. I remember no look of concern on her face. I don't think I was upset either. I just threw up on my plate and then we stared at and thought, "Well I guess you're done eating now."

So on that day my bar for fullness went from, all-of-the-food to 'leaving enough room to breathe'.

Good job little me. Being a kid is fun.
_________________________________________________________________________



1 comment:

Cassiar Memekio said...

I definitely know what you're talking about, I can feel that weird feeling thinking about it. Everything feels too ordered when eating is like that, I can specifically remember feeling that at my aunt's house.