Monday, May 9, 2022

coaching climbing

 we've got some kids who don't seem terribly interested in climbing and I think in reflecting on my day I'm fixating on it too much. it's not even like they're bad kids or anything. they just aren't very intrinsically motivated to climb and there isn't that much else to do at the gym. But anyway, I think it's silly to focus too much on some kids having a mediocre time and ignore the fact that some kids worked really hard and had fun today. 

I'm thinking about people who say their goal is to make a difference to one person. I think that's a really valuable mindset and I think I accomplished that today. The fact that I clocked in and went to work made climbing at least a little bit better for a kid than if I hadn't been there. But, also, in a much more selfish and arrogant sense, I want to make a difference for as many kids as possible. I think I can do better than one. 

Mark Wetmore has this little speech he gives in Running with the Buffaloes where he tells his team that he wants to give attention to all of them, he wants to give each person the attention they deserve to have the best experience they can, but also, that his priority because of his job and because of his limitations as a person is towards the top 7. And he kind of apologizes to the people that aren't at that level yet and tells them that they can be some day. 

I don't know, I guess you could look at that as kind of a mean thing to do but I also think he's just being honest. Like, he's trying to save these people some frustration by telling them upfront what he can and can't do. As opposed to saying nothing and pretending to be open to all of his athletes while clearly favoring the top 7. It's got me thinking that maybe it would be better, more honest, and helpful to tell kids and parents that our coaching and practices are great for kids who are intrinsically motivated and want to challenge themselves in climbing otherwise, it's not nearly as fun. 

I used to run into sort of a similar challenge at afterschool where I would say, hey I notice these kids all have a ton of different things that they are motivated by during different parts of the day and I really try to make myself available to those times when they are having fun and willing to share that experience with me. Some kids love to play in the woods, some kids love to draw, some kids love to play games in the gym, some kids just love to talk and make jokes and be funny. And the common thread was that none of those things felt forced. Everyone was participating and engaged because they wanted to be. You could feel the self-worth and efficacy rising in those moments--there was a tangible amount of individual and group pride.  

And then I would constantly get asked about these enrichment lessons. Why wasn't I making enrichment lesson plans? Why can't I make them be engaged about a thing I choose in a time and space I set?

I just don't think that's how people work. People are engaged by what they are engaged by. And, sure, there are tons of little tricks and tactics for making kids seem engaged and motivated by something but at the end of the day I think we're just teaching them to lie to themselves by doing stuff like that. I say all this in response to the idea that we could make climbing fun to a kid who doesn't find it fun. I think coaches and a team can facilitate and remove potential barriers to climbing and add an element of social motivation but I think there is some irreducible element of enjoyment and motivation that can't really be faked or hidden or ignored. It's like, at afterschool there were a ton of different ways to engage with different kids and while coaching...there's kinda one. And if it's not clicking then maybe it's just best to be upfront about that. It's not like we need to keep kids on. We have the demand from the community. 

Anyway, that's my ramble.

No comments: