Wednesday, March 4, 2020

goblin golf

I was thinking about trying to make a game that combined like, mini-table top golf and Dungeons and Dragons. Because, all I ever do is combine some other type of game with Dungeons and Dragons.

But my middle-schoolers are making games in art and one student left behind a cardboard sheet with a bunch of popsicle sticks hot glued to it. He intended it as a marble run, where you hold it up vertically and watch the marble fall down the path of the craft sticks. But looking at it horizontally I thought it would be fun if you used a stick to knock some kind of puck or marble through the course and tried to get it in a hole in as few hits as possible.

And then I've also been watching this channel on youtube with this guy who teaches a media class at a high school and he films students playing DnD to teach show production and he also has a lot of tutorials on how to build modular sets for playing DnD. 

So I guess I was thinking of those two things and I thought it would be kinda fun if you had a big grid board or something and you planned out all these holes or courses that would kind of function the same way as rooms in Dungeons and Dragons. But I guess instead of being purely narrative or numbers based, you would also interact with the room through flicking the puck or marble or whatever. So there could be like visible enemies on the course and you could choose to try to sneak past them or try to attack them by flicking your piece at them. And they could also have a way of attacking you. You could also have traps and pieces that players should avoid using or touching.

My first idea was to construct a lot of different courses on many different boards but then I realized it would be a lot more efficient to create one board and then created different walls and elements that you could rearrange and reset after each hole. 

You could also keep the narrative/role-playing aspect if you wanted. I think it would be more fun that way. Ideally it would be a nice balance of skill with using the puck or piece or whatever and imagination and making stories out of what happens on the board. I could definitely build it. It wouldn't be that hard. So maybe that's something I'll start working on.

No comments: