Thursday, August 20, 2026

Probably most people have a memory from childhood where an adult or someone older than you had a treat or something they were going to hand out to the group and upon learning of this event all the kids present started to clamor "Me! Me! Me! Me first! Me first!" And then, as a way of incentivizing desired behavior the adult would go, "I'm starting with So-And-So because they're waiting quietly."

And all the kids would get quiet and adopt the appearance of waiting patiently. And yeah, I think that is a good lesson. And it's true that if you make too big a show of wanting something you can end up not getting that thing. 

I think it's something that's deeply ingrained in me. At the same time. Sometimes. As an adult you think, "Well, I should just wait patiently." And then another voice says, you are going to die someday and you don't know when that day is and do you want to spend the time you have waiting patiently so you can look back and say well at least I waited patiently for a thing I really wanted and never got.

But! You could maybe argue that that makes the waiting all the bolder. Because you didn't give into that fear or that basic urge of wanting. 

I don't know. What a trip.

No comments: