Wednesday, May 29, 2024

one thing I learned at the therapeutic boarding school I worked at 7 years ago

 This school was the first time I heard the phrase "cannot distinguish other people's emotions from their own."

There were some boys there who were working on differentiating their own feelings from the feelings of people around them. So like if they saw another boy who was sad or angry or frustrated then they would assume they also felt that way.

When I first heard about it I thought it was the wildest thing. How could you possibly mistake someone else's feelings for your own? That's like thinking something someone else said was something that you said. 

Now I don't think it's such an out-there concept. Today I was thinking about not letting other people's stress become my stress. And, in turn, not stressing other people out with the stress I got from someone else. 

I AM A RIVER! I AM A FRESH SUMMER BREEZE!

No comments: