Sunday, April 7, 2024

the unspoken conversation

 I spent a lot of time on my trip last week thinking about how, for me anyway, the goal of a conversation or interaction is to say in a roundabout way "I care about you." Especially in cases where nothing really needs to be done or accomplished. The less practical the talk is, the more it is really about affirming, I want you to know I care about you. 

Or you could phrase it a lot of different ways: I see you, I value you, I appreciate you, I enjoy being around you. It's all kind of swirling the same proverbial drain.

I don't definitely don't think it's true of all conversations at all times. I get the sense that some people try to get across, "I'm better than you" or "I'm smarter than you" and it tends to color their choice of topics and words. There's an infinite number of possibilities and a good amount of time we're probably saying things for ourselves more than the person we're talking too.

But maybe my favorite part of the trip was I felt like I was in that space a lot of the time. Where the reason I was talking was to try to get that across.

So that was cool.

No comments: