Wednesday, April 14, 2021

I'm watching a woodpecker outside on a tree

 the tree is dead

the woodpecker is looking for a good spot

it climbed all the way to the top of the dead tree and called twice and then flew away


yesterday some kids in the woods started peeling bark off a tree. I'm not sure how they peeled so much bark off. It was coming off pretty easily. I told them to stop and that it was bad for the tree and they stopped. I feel bad for the tree. I feel bad that I exposed to the tree to the threat of children. 

I tell myself that maybe they didn't know that would hurt the tree. And maybe they learned that they shouldn't do that because they had that experience. I think we always have to hold the big picture in mind and not focus too much on individual actions that feel more personal and potent in our minds. Ecosystems aren't exactly being threatened by the actions of rowdy children. Maybe if these kids are exposed to the woods at a young age and have some good memories of being in there, they'll grow up to be the kinds of people who appreciate having those spaces. 

I'm really enjoying the colors of spring this year. I feel like I'm really noticing.

No comments: