Friday, January 29, 2021

send gme to the moon

It's been really fun to watch wallstreet bets on the attempted short squeeze on Gamestop the past few days.  I think what I like most about it is just being interested in something and learning new things. It's fun to read a lot of different articles and sources and see who is saying what and why. It's fun to learn a bunch of new terms that explain what is going on. 

One thing I've learned is there's a lot of bad writing floating around. Really unsound arguments get thrown out just for the sake of making noise. On the more "pop" trendy side of journalism you get a lot of lazy metaphors and narratives that don't really hold any water but fit the tone of what the publication and its audience expects.

Then in the more technical and "conservative" (not like crazy political conservative but like...reserved conservative) you get articles where a lot of official terms and numbers and figures are thrown out without much in depth explanation. For example, X means this and now I'm going to heave a ton of info that I know is over your head at you and I'm not going to explain it to make me seem smart and you seem dumb so you'll have to agree. It's pretty obvious when you see it. A lot of bluster that's only tangentially related to anything if you take the time to dig into it. It's just as bad as the lazy pop journalism. 

Anyway, it's fun to learn and be interested in something and talk about it with people.

Final take for now: it's not a David and Goliath story. It's not class warfare. The rich will be fine. But I'd like to think it's not just a bubble either. And a good outcome would be that these stupid, arrogant hedgefunds that put downward pressure on failing companies for a quick buck get punished. I think anyone who says short selling is "just the way it" or "helps the market run more efficiently" without acknowledging the overall scumminess of the system as it is, is propping up something that isn't sound to begin with. We know the financial system only benefits the few without adding value to society, I don't think that's a controversial opinion, and short selling is a symptom of that. I found one guy who I think kind of agrees and he sounds smart.

No comments: